Sunday, May 02, 2010

Scrumptious Sunday- Chicken Tortilla Soup

So this is supposed to be an "interior design" blog but Remodelaholic is hosting a recipe link party so I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes. (Everyone likes a little crossover anyway right?!?!) In fact, I have several great recipes that are definitely share worthy. So I've decided, from this day forth, I will hold what I'm going to call "Scrumptious Sunday" and share a new and delicious recipe every Sunday.

* If you also read my family blog, this first recipe will be a repeat.

I consider myself a fairly decent cook. I have been pretty proud of some of the things that have come out of my kitchen, but when I made Chicken Tortilla Soup and my husband declared it "the best tortilla soup ever and possibly the best thing I have EVER made," I knew it was too good not to share. And the best part? It is SUPER easy!

The recipe originally came from allrecipes.com but I've changed it up a bit to get it perfect.

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

3-4 frozen chicken breasts
1 lg can whole tomatoes (mashed)
1 can red enchilada sauce
1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
2 cans chicken broth
1 cup frozen corn (add more or less as you like)
1 can black beans
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf

*note: seasoning measurements are approximate. I just eyeballed everything so be sure you season to taste.

Place all ingredients in a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. I just put the chicken in frozen and then removed it about an hour before I was going to serve and shredded it. Garnish with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream and/or avocado slices. Serves 8 but make the whole batch as the leftovers are killer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!