Monday, April 04, 2011

Wood You Like to Craft?- Candlestick Rabbits

I'm so excited to host Wood you like to craft? this month!  For those of you who may not have heard, Wood you like to Craft? is a bloggers craft group. We have gathered four fun blogs that have a love for wood crafts. Each month we will be creating one project selected by the "host." Then each of the other bloggers will take a turn showing their variation of the same craft. But we want you to join in too! We will have a week long link party so you can make and share your take on the month's craft. We can't wait to see all the twists and turns one project can take!


Wood you like to craft?



When trying to decide what to create for this months craft, I had a few things in mind.  I wanted to do something cute for Easter (after all, Easter is kinda a big deal!) and I wanted it to be something anyone could do.  I love wood crafts but am new to the power tool world.  I know how intimidating it can be at first.  So I came up with the Candlestick Rabbit.


They are super fun and quirky.  I love how they turned out and look so cute mixed into my spring mantle display! (reveal to come) But even better then that, they were a blast to make!  I made the set during one nap time.  And no need to fear if you aren't comfortable or have access to power tools.  All the supplies can be purchased at the craft store (mine came from Micheal's) except the ears, but you can get creative and make fabric or paper ears if needed.

Anyway, without further ado, here is how I made my Candlestick Rabbits. 


Materials needed (per rabbit):


unfinished candlestick
wooden egg
wooden ears (cut from 1/4" birch plywood)
craft paint
wood stain
fine point sharpie
hot glue
sand paper
embellishments (ribbons, buttons, beads etc.)

Step 1:  Gather your supplies.  I found unfinished wood candlesticks and wood eggs that fit on top at Micheal's.  I also got a piece of 1/4inch plywood.  You can find smaller pieces of wood to cut with at Micheal's too or from your local home improvement store.  Most of the other supplies you will probably have on hand, but check the list above to be sure.  (image A)

Step 2:  The candlesticks had a metal holder on the top for the candle.  I planned on just pulling that out, but it actually just crumpled so I just folded it down. (image B)  Just do whatever you have to in order to allow the egg to sit firmly on the candlestick.

Step 3:  Next you need to cut out your ears.  I made paper templates and traced them on my wood and cut them out with my scroll saw.  You can see the shape of the ears in the image. (image C and D)  You want the ears to connect together so you have a place to glue it on.

Step 4:  Time for assembly.  Hot glue your egg to your candlestick.  I filled the entire hole with hot glue and then placed my egg on top.  (image E and F) Then you paint.  I gave everything a coat of white craft paint. (image G) and added the nose and ear details. (image H, I, and J)  I decided the ears were a little much after painting them, so I did a light coat of white over the top.  You can still see the pink showing through, its just a little more subtle. (image K)

Step 5:  Sand.  I wanted to antique the whole thing a bit, so I roughed everything up with some sand paper (image L) and then put a coat of wood stain over the top. I then added the eye and mouth details with a sharpie.  You can use paint of course, but the sharpie sure makes it easy! (image M)

Step 6:  The last step is hot gluing the ears to the back of the head (image N) and then its time to embellish.  My boy rabbit got a bow tie and some buttons, and my girl got a bow for her hair and a necklace.




Aren't they cute?!  I just love them to bits.

So that's it.  The Candlestick Rabbit.


I can't wait to see what other versions everyone comes up with and I sure hope you'll play along too.  Remember that this tutorial is just to give you an idea of the basic process, but feel free to throw them out the window and do it your way. 

This week the other three Wood you like to craft? blogs will show their take on the craft and then the link party will begin on Friday and be open all next week so everyone has time to get linked up.  Next Sunday we will showcase our favorite projects and the "top cut" will win a prize.

Stay tuned!


As always I'm linking to these great parties and events:

Spring Round Up with Centsational Girl

  Visit thecsiproject.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!