Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Magnetic Banner

Oh yeah, you read that correctly.

So do you remember when I said that all my spring mantel display needed was a banner and I has something awesome up my sleeve?  It was one of those things that I wasn't sure would work but wanted to give it a try.  Well, it worked and it is a.w.e.s.o.m.e!!!

Let me introduce my magnetic banner.


and because its magnetic I can make it say...


or...


or any other word or phrase that's less then 8 characters.  My son is going to love it when it says "birthday" for a week next month! And when June rolls around and I redo the mantel for summer, it will say "summer" or something like that.

I kept the design and color scheme simple so that it would be versatile.  Blues and Greens will always work in my house!

So if you are wondering how I made it magnetic, here you go.


I started with chipboard pennants that I found at the craft store.  I was originally planning on cutting my own our of 1/4" plywood but when I found these, all ready to go for around $3, it was a no brainer. 

Then I painted the pennants with magnetic primer.  I used the kind pictured above.  I originally bought magnetic spray paint but couldn't get that stuff to work for the life of me.  The magnetic primer is expensive.   (around $20) so it is a bit of an investment.  I only used a small amount though and promised myself that I would use it in other projects... which means you'll be seeing more of this stuff in the future!

Edit: I should note that the thicker you paint the primer, the more megnetic it will be.  I did many thick coats..... probably around 6.

I let that dry overnight and painted it with a coat of white craft paint.  I cut my scrapbook papers a little smaller then my pennants so that I would have a bit of a border, and modge podged that on.  I added a little distressing ink to the edges of the pennants.

I just used my hole punch to re-make my holes and strung it up with white ribbon.

For the letters I just bought a pack of sparkly white scrapbook letters.  Since they had a sticky back I put a thin coat of modge podge on the back and let that dry, then stuck my magnetic tape to the back.  Something like this...


I love how the sparkly letters look.


And the textures and colors from the papers make me giddy.



So there you have it!  A magnetic banner that can be used for all sorts of occasions!


As always I'm linking to these great parties and events:

Paper Party @ Paper Issues

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!