Monday, June 20, 2011

Slat Star

I'm in the process of creating my "summer" mantle display.  I have a few finishing touches to add before the full reveal but I wanted to share with you my slat star.  My goal with this display is to give it an Americana feel, without it being so "4th of July" that it can't stay up for awhile.  I think my star is the perfect addition.


Fun huh!?  I took some liberties with the American color scheme in order to make it fit with my decor, but I love how it turned out!

I also love the shabby finish.


So if you want to make your own, here is the method to my madness.


A.  Start by making a paper template of a star.  Then lay out some scrap slats and trace your star.

B.  Then carefully cut each slat following your traced lines.  It's a pretty easy task as long as you do it in order and not let yourself get confused.

C. All cut!

D.  Then paint the slats.  The top third I painted a light blue and then the rest I alternated red and white.  Once again, don't let yourself get confused.  Lay your star out and mark what color each slat needs to be before you start painting.

E.  Take all your slats outside and give them a good sanding.

F.  Finally, hot glue the slats together to form your star.  I finished mine off with a coat of dark wood stain also.  And that's it!  

A super cute slat star that will look great with any patriotic or summer display!


As always I'm linking to these great parties and events:

Visit thecsiproject.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!