Monday, May 23, 2011

If you sprinkle...

Hello my friends!  How was your weekend?

Mine was pretty great.  We spent the weekend celebrating this little guys 5th birthday.


I threw my first ever "friend" birthday party and it was madness I tell you!  He was over the moon about it all though and it went about a smooth as could be expected.  So all the hard work paid off.  Love you little man!

Anyway, since my weekend was spend in birthday madness I started worrying about what I was going to blog about this week.  So I scrounged around and whipped this up yesterday afternoon.


Haha... love it! 

You see, a redo of my kids bathroom is in the works and I am going to need some new bathroom art.  I wanted to do a sign that looked pretty but was actually just silly.  Although, having kids it would be nice if they did wipe up any sprinkles... but I'm not holding my breath.

The best part, is was made completely from stuff laying around my house.

So... here is my sign making process.


First, I took a scrap of wood and painted it white.  This will be your text color, so whatever color you want your text.  Then I cut some vinyl with my silhouette to fit the board, and placed that on.  After making sure the vinyl was on nice and good, I painted the board with my top color.  I wanted a worn look, so I added a little blue with an almost dry paint brush in a few spots.  Then I removed my vinyl to reveal the text.  I wanted to give the letters a little more punch, so I used a brown sharpie to shadow the letters.  Then I let it dry (hardest part) and sanded the whole thing down.  I finished it with a coat of wood stain and then some spray varnish.

It really was super easy and only took a few hours to complete.


And I'm loving the finish!  I'm not sure yet how I'm going to hang it.  I may staple some ribbon to the back, or I might just hang it as is, it just depends how it looks in the finished space.  And, if you guys are surprised by seeing such a monochromatic piece from me, never fear.  It's all part of the master plan! 

Now I'm pumped to get that bathroom finished so I can see it in the the space!


Too fun!

As always I'm linking to these great parties and events:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!