Monday, February 28, 2011

Shamrock Garden

Since Valentine's is well and over its time to start the St. Patrick's day decor.  This is the first year that I have really embraced decorating for all the holidays.  Now that I have my mantel shelf I'm really enjoying changing it out month to month and having to a place to create my holiday vignettes. 

By the way, I've received a lot of questions on where I got my shelf.  My husband built it for me.  I know, so lucky!  He has agreed to sit down and write some basic instructions and measurements so you can attempt your own if you wish.  So that will be coming soon.

Anyway, when trying to decide what to add to my mantle to St. Patty's Day it up, I of course thought of shamrocks.  This is what I came up with.



Not bad right?  Here's how you can make your own.


First gather your supplies.  The shamrocks I cut with my scroll saw using a basic shamrock image that I printed online as my template.  They are about an inch thick.  The bases are little wood plaques I found at Micheal's.  You will also need dowels (two are 9 inches long and the other is 12 inches), scrapbook paper, modge podge, sanding paper, hot glue, craft glue, and glitter.

You will need to drill a hole in the center of your plaques and the base of the shamrock that's the same width as your dowels. (B)

Start by painting all your wood peices green. Or any color you want your shamrocks, but I suggest green. (A)  Give it a good sanding to distress the finish. (C)

Then cut a piece of scrapbook paper that is a bit larger then your shamrock. (D)  Apply a generous coat of modge podge to the shamrock and put the paper on, rubbing all the air bubbles out.  Allow to dry.  Once dry sand away all the excess paper. (E)  My paper was really thick so I cheated and used the palm sander.  If you don't have access to a palm sander, I recommend using thinner paper if using this modge podge technique.  You can always cut you paper to fit before applying too.

Then to give it a little extra somethin somethin, I outlined them with craft glue and gold glitter. (F) 

Then all that's left is assembling the pieces.  I used hot glue in my joints to keep everything secure.  Be sure to get it straight before your glue dries!

And there you have it.  Your own little shamrock garden.



As always I'm linking to these great parties and events:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!