Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dish towels that stay put!

I like to hang a dish towel over the handle of my oven door. When I have a dish towel out and ready, I end up using way less paper towels. This is good for the environment and good for my pocketbook. However, my 18 month old daughter WILL NOT LEAVE THEM ALONE! After picking them up for the hundredth time I decided I needed a solution. I remember my Mom having a towel with a crocheted top that buttoned to keep them in place, so I decided to make a more contemporary version of that. So, what do you think?



Want to make your own?

Supplies:

4 dish towels (one you will sacrifice for the binding and straps... I will refer to this towel as the secondary towel)
6 buttons
Sewing notions



Step 1: Fold your dish towel how you want it to hang. I folded the two sides into the middle and then the whole thing in half. Then cut out of your secondary towel a strip the width of your folded towel and about 4 to 5 inches long. Also cut out two pieces the width and length you want your straps.

Step 2: Pin your towel so that it stays in place while you work with it. Just be sure to place the pins low enough not to get in your way.

Step 3: I decided to leave my edges raw. (lazy) The edges will fray but I was okay with that. To keep them from fraying to much though, I did a zigzag stitch all around the perimeter of my pieces. If you want a cleaner look, you should cut your fabric a little larger and hem.

Step 4: Attach your straps to the back of you binding piece. I did this by sewing a square.

Step 5: Sew a button hole on the end of your strap. This was my first experience making a button hole and it was surprisingly easy.

Step 6: Align your binding with your towel. Make sure the straps are in the back and the binding is even on both sides. Pin and then sew in place by making another square around the binding.

Step 7: Hand sew on your buttons and your done!

There you have it. A dish towel that stays put!



So which one is your fave? (And no, I will not actual hang them all at once!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!