Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tutu Table


So... the next thing that I added to Ava's "big girl room" is a tutu table.  She had a birthday last month and I wanted to get her a play table to have tea parties and such on.  Turns out kids tables can be pricey!  After scouring the internet I came upon the perfect table from Ikea.  We don't have an Ikea where I live so I had to plan a trip to Utah to get it.  When I got there, the table was on clearance for $29 and I grabbed the last one.  Soooo lucky!  They must have discontinued the particular one I bought because I can't find it on their website anymore.  Sorry folks!

Here is what it looked like before.


 I love that it was round, already white, and had shelves for all her junk things.

I knew that I wanted to "make it mine" though.  Here are my inspiration images.



I loved the idea of a tutu skirt and a painted top.  So that's what I did!  Here is the "after."



Isn't it SO fun?!

It turned out very dramatic and ultra girlie, but its just perfect for her room.

I love how the top turned out.


I painted it completely by hand and am really proud of myself!

The skirt was really easy to do,  although it took 50 yards of tulle.  (Yes, you read that correct, 50 yards! Thank goodness for coupons!)  All you do is take a length of tulle, fold it in half and twist a couple of times, and then staple it to the bottom of the table.  Repeat all around the table till its done.  I found that using about 3 staples on each piece gave me the right spacing.


I did have to give it a hair cut once it was done to get the ends all even.

This method worked great for producing a full skirt.  I'm sure you could get away with less fabric if you wanted it a little thinner.

Did you notice the chairs?


Those were princess folding chairs that we already owned.  The frames were already a perfect color so all I did was unscrew the cushions and replaced the fabric.  I just used hot glue to glue the fabric down.  It was SO easy and now they are custom for her room.  Love that!


So that's it.  She now has the most girlie play table in the history of mankind.  And I love it!


I have a few throw pillows to make and then I will give you a full tour of her bedroom next week.  So stay tuned!

As always I'm linking to these great parties and events:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!