Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Reversible Table Runner

I actually made this a few weeks ago but haven't had time to write about it.  Even though fall is over, its still a cool idea.

Anyway, I have the most adorable table runner from Silly Mama Quilts that looks so cute with my spring and summer decor.  But I needed a fall runner.  I also knew that almost as soon as I got a fall runner made I'd need a winter one too.  So I decided to kill two birds with one stone and make a reversible runner.  I love it!


I had so much fun picking out the different fabrics.  I bought 4 fat quarters for each side and have enough left that I could easily make a couple more.



This was my first EVER quilting experience so I'm super proud!  It's far from perfect (aka straight) but I love it and how it looks with the rest of my seasonal decor!



Here is how I did it if you'd like to make one of your own.


Step 1:  Gather your fabric.  Like I said I used 4 fat quarters for each side with TONS left over.  I decided how wide I wanted my runner (cut it about an inch wider to make room for seams) and then just vary the size of your pieces. (image a)

Step 2:  Using the first side as a guide, cut your second side so that its the same size.  (image b)

Step 3:  Then start piecing your sides together.  Just lay right sides together, stitch, and then continue. (image c) Once you have both sides done be sure to iron all your seams really well.

Step 4:  I basically made mine like you would a big pillow.  I put right sides together and then a piece of quilters batting below it.  Then sew all around the edges leaving an opening to turn it. (image e)

Step 5:  Once you have it turned, hand stitch the opening close and then press really well again.  Then you can finish it by sewing a top stitch all around the runner and doing wavy lines down the body of the runner.  (image f)

I just used a regular sewing machine for this with a regular foot.  It was really quite easy and came together pretty quick.  A great project for a first time quilter! 


You should give one a try.  :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!