Thursday, December 29, 2011

Oh My Crafts Vinyl: Product Review

Disclosure:  I was sent free product from Oh My Crafts in exchange for a review, but all opinions are my own.

I'm so excited to tell you guys about Oh My Crafts!  OMC is a great website full of crafts supplies.  They carry everything from paper to craft cutters to home decor.  Well, about a month ago they offered to send me some vinyl to review.  I couldn't say yes fast enough!

I love crafting with vinyl because there is so much you can do with it!  When my package came in the mail it was like an early Christmas morning.  They have such fun colors and even some specialty vinyl, like glitter and chalkboard.  Right off the bat I could tell that OMC vinyl felt thicker then other vinyl I have used.  It came in 12 x 24 sheets and was nicely packaged without any bends or creases.  I have used rolls of vinyl in the past and have often had air bubbles in the vinyl that has caused problems during cutting, but not the case here!

I wanted to give this stuff a good test run so I decided to use it in the 3 ways I most often use vinyl...while crafting, on the wall, and as a stencil.

The first project I used it in was my Christmas Quote Tree.  (You can read more about it HERE)




I was actually having a series of problems with this project when my OMC package came in the mail.  It was a God send!  When I sent the vinyl through my silhouette machine I was impressed with how clean it cut.  Often times with other vinyl I will have parts lift while its cutting, but this stuff stayed in place really well.  I also noticed it was easier to weed out the negative area for the same reason.  And it stuck like a dream!

For my next test I wanted to try it on a wall.  I really like using vinyl on a wall in theory.  I love that it is removable without damaging walls but I've actually never had much luck with it.  I've tried several brands and I've always had trouble getting my vinyl to stick without bubbling or lifting over time.  So for me, this was a big test.

I decided to do a cute little princess saying for my daughters room.





I decided on "Little Miss Princess" because we call our daughter "little miss" all the time.  I designed the text using the Silhouette software and got the crown from the Silhouette store.  Once again, the vinyl cut beautifully.  I used transfer tape with this application.  I avoid transfer tape whenever possible because I have a hard time with it, but this stuff didn't feel overly sticky so I was hopeful that it would let go again.  I still had a bit of trouble getting the vinyl off the tape and onto the wall, but nothing terrible.  It was defiantly better then other transfer tape Ive used.  And once the vinyl was off the tape and onto the wall, it stuck!  Not a single bubble or spot that has lifted.  I'm so pleased!

For my final test, I wanted to see how it did as a stencil.  This is actually what I do most often with vinyl.  I have been on a bit of a sign kick lately and I love the look of painted lettering that is distressed, so making a stencil is the way to go.  I found a great quote and made this sign for my new house.



I love how it turned out!  We are in a transition period right now and this great quote will remind us that life is what we make it. 

One of the things I love about the OMC vinyl is that it has a grid on the back.  This is really helpful when making a stencil because you can cut the stencil out straight. And a straight stencil is so much easier to get on correctly!  Once again this stuff stuck really well to my board.  I did have a little bit of bleeding under the vinyl but very little.  Because this stuff sticks so well it was a bit harder to remove the stencil then with other stuff I've used.  It just came off in pieces.  Not a big deal.

Overall I am REALLY impressed with the quality of OMC vinyl!  (and doubt I will ever buy vinyl from anywhere else again!) I'm sure you will hear a lot more about them in the future.  I can't wait to try out some chalkboard vinyl and to use the glitter vinyl!

Do you want to try some too?  Oh My Crafts has created the discount code OMCBLOG10 for 10% off your entire order!  They have great prices and awesome colors so be sure to check them out!  You'll be glad you did.  :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!