Monday, October 11, 2010

Painted Glass Candy Jar

I have to tell you, for such a simple project this thing was trouble!  Some projects just fall into place, but this wasn't one of them.  That being said, now that its finally done I'm happy with the result.  Let me introduce you to the painted glass candy jar.


Now for my story.  I have had a bowl of candy corn sitting on my kitchen counter for the last few weeks.   My kids LOVE candy corn and since its a seasonal treat, we take advantage this time of year.  But the problem was every time I walked past that bowl, I grabbed a few.  I was having serious sugar shock and next thing I new I was chewing more candy corn.  Tell me I'm not the only one who eats without thinking?!?  I decided I had to move my candy into something with a lid.  That way I had to make the decision to take the lid off if I wanted candy, and would quite eating without thought.

My idea was to take a mason jar and use a stencil and frost the glass.  I did this and it turned out really cute, but it was subtle.  You had to look really close to see the design, not quite what I had in mind.  While I was making this first jar, I also made a few jar votive holders with the same technique. They actually look cute.




So I decided to try again and this time paint the jar with stain glass paint. 

Here's how I did it:
1. Cut out a design with contact paper and place it on your jar.
2.  Paint your jar with glass paint.  It will take many many thin coats.
3. Once dry to the touch, remove your stencil and watch half the paint come off with it.
4. Paint the design back on by hand.  I didn't actually lose everything, but I had to hand paint the eyes, nose and some of the detail around the bones.
5. Let cure for 24 hours
6. Bake glass at 300 degrees F for 35 min. (follow the directions on your paint) Once baked your glass will be waterproof.
7. Modge podge some fabric on the top of your lid.
8. Spray paint the rim of your lid black. I did a really crappy paint job and had a bunch of silver showing through, so I just scratched it up so it would look intentional.
9. Top with a cute bow

Like I said, I'm happy with the final result.  I think making a bunch of smaller ones to give as gifts would be a lot of fun.  Especially with a cute tag saying to use as a candle holder once the candy was gone. Maybe for Christmas, but I'm done painting glass for now.  Here are a few more pics.




Now if I could do something with all the cookies in my house....

P.S.  Just so you all know, not everything lives on my front steps.  But for the life if me I can't get a decent picture inside so its just easier to have outside photo shoots.

I will be linking to these parties and these events:






  Visit thecsiproject.com



Creations by Kara

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!