Monday, October 04, 2010

2x4 Pumpkins

So I was asked to come up with a project for the ladies at my church to do at an activity.  I was told to come up with something that would take 1-1 1/2 hours to make, and cost under $10.  Yikes! Pretty restrictive.  This is the first time I've been asked to come up with the craft and since its sorta my thing, I wanted to make something good.  So 2x4 pumpkins it was, cheap and easy yet super cute.  But of course I had to put my twist on them. Here is my version of the 2x4 pumpkin.


Pretty cute right? I love the pattern added with the scrapbook paper and the big bow.  I also found some paper cover floral wire and added curlies to the bow.  They remind me of the vines pumpkins sometimes have.  I also angled the corners so that the pumpkins would be a little more round.

Here are my two cents on making a 2x4 pumpkin.

Buy a 2x4.  They cost about $2 and you can get two pumpkins out of one.  I had my husband cut them down for me.  The short pumpkin has five 10 inch pieces and a 3 inch piece for the stem.  The short one has six 8 inch pieces and a 3 inch stem piece.  Cut the angles on two of the pieces per pumpkin.


Paint them orange (or brown for the stem) and then get out your palm sander and rough up all the edges.  You can do this by hand too. 


Apply a light coat of stain all over.  This is optional but it tones down the orange and I like the look. Then use modge podge to apply the strips of scrapbook paper.


Hot glue all the pieces together and top with a cute bow.  I made my bow by making two simple bows  and attaching them together and added a curly out of floral wire. And that's it, easy peasy!

Here are a few up close and personal pics of each of the pumpkins.





So what do you think?  I hope all the ladies in my ward like them and we'll have fun making them.  I'll show off pics of all the different combinations after we do them. 

Thanks for reading!

I will be linking to these weekly parties and these special event parties.


SYS Thurs
Get Your Craft On Tuesday

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!