Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Barn Door Shutters

 Awhile back I came across this photo on Pinterest.

 
(The photo isn't linked so I don't know the source.  If anyone knows, let me know!)
Update: source found, thanks Kelsey! Image above via Aunt Ruthie's Sugar Pie Farmhouse

And I thought to myself, "Wow, I love those shutters!  I should make some!" and then thought nothing more of it.  
Then last week Melinda shared her barn door shelf on WYLTC.


And that sealed the deal.  I went that afternoon to pick up supplies.  I whipped out a couple of barn door shutters and pulled out my fall decor, and now my mantle looks like this.


So fun!  

I love that I was able to make them custom for my space.  They are the same height as my mirror giving me a window look.

I went with a green color because 1) I wanted a fun color and 2) green would go good with any season.


I went out of my comfort zone on the finish of these and used a glaze instead of a stain over paint treatment.  It was a lot of fun trying something new and I love how it turned out!


If you want to make your own, they seriously couldn't be easier!
All you do is take a 1x3 board and cut it into your desired lengths.  Then take a 2x1/4 inch slat and make your Z.  My boards were 23" tall.  The two short slats were 10" long and the cross slat was about 16" long with a  31.62 degree angle cut.  Your measurements will depend on the size.


Then I just laid it on the ground and used gorilla glue to glue it together.  It worked like a charm!  This was my first time using Gorilla Glue too, and I will say I was impressed!

Then finish however you want.  Like I said, I used green paint and a brown glaze.



I love them!

As always I'm linking to these great parties and events:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!