Thursday, April 01, 2010

Kids T-Shirts with Bleach and Freezer Paper

I know I know... this is supposed to be a home decor blog. But my kids ARE in my home so I figure this still counts....right?

Anyhoo... I found this great tutorial at I Am Momma, Hear Me Roar on how to make custom shirts using freezer paper and bleach. It looked like a lot of fun so I thought I'd try it out. Here is what I came up with.



Pretty cute right?

My Ezra is a total motorcycle junkie. He lives and breaths all things "bikes." So I made him this "Moto Maniac" shirt.



I started out with a plain (and cheap) black t-shirt. I found the images online and printed them from my computer right onto the freezer paper. I then cut it out with an exacto knife and ironed the freezer paper onto the shirt. (shiny side down). I put some freezer paper on the inside of the shirt to protect it and sprayed the whole shirt down with bleach. Once the color had changed enough for me I rinsed it, pulled off the stencil, and washed.

The best part was how much Ezra loved it. He refused to take it off for almost three days and told everyone we saw that "my Mommy made me this shirt."

Since my Ava is into everything and enjoys emptying the drawers around the house more than any other activity, I made her this "drawer monster" shirt.



It didn't come out as sharp as Ezra's. I'm not sure if I just didn't get it ironed on as well but it could be because it took longer to change color and the bleach had more time to work on the paper. Either way, I still like it. It looks a little more rustic this way and fits my little drawer monster perfectly.

It was a fun project that was super quick and the kids loved. Can't beat that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Don't stop there! Click "older posts" to keep reading!